St. Paul of the Cross
148 Monastery Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15203 Phone (412) 381-1188 Fax (412) 481-5049
ST. PAUL OF THE CROSS MONASTERY, CHURCH, AND RETREAT CENTER
stand today as a monument to the praise of God in its service to the neighbor. "The Monastery" is a complex of buildings that stand on a hilltop overlooking the Southside of the City of Pittsburgh. (A few minutes from the city center). This hallowed place is named after the founder of the Passionists.
History of St. Paul of the Cross Monastery
Eventually the first Passionist monastery was built on Monte Argentario, Italy, and dedicated in
WE PAY TRIBUTE TO THE GENEROUS AND RESPONSIVE PEOPLE OF PITTSBURGH WHO WELCOMED US PASSIONISTS MORE THAN A CENTURY AGO AND WHOSE LOVE, AFFECTION AND SUPPORT IS UNDIMINISHED.
HOW WE SERVE
Daily liturgy - Sacrament of Reconciliation - Preaching - Counselling/spiritual direction - "Fifth Step" aid to the recovering alcoholic - Food to the needy - Christian enrichment at our retreat center - Providing a meeting place for groups such as "Peace & Justice" and Alcoholics Anonymous.
In 1925, a perpetual novena in honor of the young Passionist, St. Gabriel, was started by popular request. The NOVENA had an instant and unexpected appeal and in a very short time more services were added each Monday to accommodate the crowds. Today the Novena continues at the MONASTERY CHURCH and is referred to as the Novena in honor of the Passionist Saints.
The MONASTERY CRYPT is a large room underneath the sanctuary of the church. It contains burial vaults wherein lie the bodily remains of the earliest Passionists in America. There are 20 bodies, including those of two Passionist bishops. The crypt was used as a burial place until 1893. The crypt also contains some interesting artifacts, such as, the death mask of the face of St. Paul of the Cross, his skull cap and parts of some of his handwritten letters; relics of saints; photographs of the pioneer Passionists; sacred vestments, woven with silver threads, from the Russian Czar chapel in St. Petersburg (18th century); and historical records relating to those whose bodies lie buried in the crypt.
The dynamic spiritual center, which is ST. PAUL OF THE CROSS RETREAT CENTER, dates back to 1920. With an addition that was completed in 1961, this retreat center now has 100 rooms for the accommodation of retreatants.
The help of God, the kind encouragement of the bishops of the Pittsburgh diocese, the cooperation of priests and laity, and the labors of the Passionists have brought weekend retreats to a flourishing condition. People from every station of life have found in the peaceful quiet of these surroundings a renewed spiritual strength and enrichment to meet the challenges of Christian living and leadership.
A Monastery, Church, and Retreat Center. Bricks and stone and steel? No. A special place. Set apart on a hill. Set apart to serve the needs of all who come here. Built by men and women. Built by the Holy Spirit working in our hearts. Held up by a foundation of concrete, but supported by a foundation of faith and hard work. From a small dwelling built in 1853, to the present expanse of buildings and garden. A vital, living force in the community.
We Passionists have committed our lives to God in service to our neighbor We are grateful to the thousands of visitors whose thoughtful donations have made possible the establishment of this ministry. We rely solely on the generosity of present day visitors and benefactors for the continuance of our services.
For more information about the history of St. Paul's Monastery, visit the Passionist Historical Archives.
Monastery cornerstone laid - August 7, 1853